Tuesday, March 15, 2011

CPC11: THE MUSIC OF GENERAL SESSION 1

Just a brief blog entry before heading to bed. Have you ever seen the effects of a few sticks of explosive on a pile of old dead wood? That's about how I'd describe tonight's opening session concert entitled "Family Fight Night". No, it wasn't a fight of a family, but rather a fight for the family. I will not go into details as to the different elements of the evening. Instead, I'll just talk about the music.

In a word: WOW.

While waiting to get into the session,we were treated by a mini-concert by Dean-O. But that was just the beginning. Kicking us off in the session was the Go Fish Guys. Yes, their cd's are great. And yes, we can rock out to their dvd's. But seeing them in person is just phenomenal. To have everyone on their feet, waving their hands in the air, and doing the motions was a sight to behold.

Later on, we were treated to the musical stylings of the Lads. We use Lads music and their dvd comedy program periodically in our Sunday Morning programs. They have a very hard driving beat and style that's a little hard to describe. But then came the surprise of the evening. You see, the opening session of CPC is always a bit emotional for me, particularly during worship time. But I figured, hey, it's the Lads. Rockin' out to "My Best Friend is the Creator of the Universe." is fun, right? And then....they effortless merged into "How Great is My God". I was startled from the power of the transition. The emotions followed.

Phil Joel, formerly with the Newsboys, followed up with some more hard, driving songs, including some of worship which again swept me away. Yes, it was loud and no, I don't think that style is for everyone. My ears were still ringing, but my heart was soaring as I left the hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment