Thursday, June 10, 2021

THINKING ABOUT MARGINS

I once listened to a speech about the necessity of "margins" in one's life. It has stuck with me ever since, especially at those times when I am feeling overwhelmed.

What is a "margin?" I see it as the liberty to adjust or adapt to life's situations because the basics are taken care of. A margin represents extra space, "wiggle room" if you will, to enjoy or to respond to a need. And margins take many forms.

We can have margins with money, where we have enough left over in our budget to enjoy, invest, or do something different, as well as help others.

We can have margins with time, where we have enough extra time to engage in hobbies, enrichment, or service.

We can have margins with health, where our time and energy spent in diet and exercise allows us to do things that we otherwise could not do.

Margins can really apply to anything.

So I get the concept of margins when it comes to money. Like millions of Americans, I often live from paycheck to paycheck, or, in the words of another cliché: "there's too much month left at the end of my money." At those times, I long for margins, to know that I can write a check with the full confidence that I won't have to "rob Peter to pay Paul" (sorry, another cliché!). And then, if my car breaks down or I need an emergency root canal, there is enough margin in my budge to absorb the added expense.

And I sometimes struggle with time management; or more accurately, "priority management." I've got a lot to do, but it seems like the clock speeds up in proportion to my list. I'd love to be caught up, I'd love to be ahead, so that, if something happens that requires my full attention, I'm ready for the task.

But when it comes to margins, I think one thing that burdens me the most is that, without margins, I am often unable to be a blessing to others. Yes, there is the grace of giving and God has proven Himself time and again that He will provide our needs, even in the paycheck to paycheck existence. And I have shifted priorities in the face of a greater need, setting aside something urgent in order to do something important. These things don't change.

But the advantage of a margin is freedom. Freedom to write that extra check to support a missionary or community outreach. Freedom to take time off to volunteer. Freedom to invest in my family (oh, so important). There are advantages to margins.

Of course, margins take work and a deliberate decision to do something about it. Giving extra involves a determination to be a giving person, regardless of your budget. If all you've got is a dollar and someone needs a dime, give them a quarter (or hey, maybe the whole dollar!). Volunteering some extra time may involve giving up your favorite tv show.  Having the buffer in your checkbook may require that you take advantage of good financial and budgeting tools.

(And yes, as another old saying goes, if it seems I'm pointing a finger at you, it's because four others are pointing back as me)

This is not a confession. I'm not saying, "woe is me." Because of my relationship with Jesus Christ, my day to day life is pretty good. Things aren't that bad all the time. But once in awhile, when the deadlines loom and the bills are due and my text messages pile up, I think about the need for space, for breathing room. 

I think about margins.

No comments:

Post a Comment