Saturday, September 25, 2010

RECRUITING LESSONS I'M STILL LEARNING

One of my favorite passages on recruiting is found in Exodus 17:10-13

"So Joshua did as Moses said to him, and fought with Amalek. And Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. And so it was, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed; and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses’ hands became heavy; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. And Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. So Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword."

There are some children's ministers who are among the uber-talented. You know the kind...they can play guitar, operate puppets, coordinate half a dozen events, wow a group of kids for a full hour, and, like Fonzie of Happy Days, get recruits by a snap of the fingers (note: younger readers will have to ask parents about Fonzie). Yes, some children's ministers can do it all.

For the rest of us, we need Aarons and Hurs. For example, one of my weaknesses is in the area of recruiting. I'm getting a lot better at it, but there are those who can do it a lot better. One of my critics suggested that, because I couldn't get people to join me, that I was unsuited for children's ministries. I recoiled a bit at that. Just imagine Aaron and Hur saying, "Moses is clearly unable to do the job; therefore, we need to take over." Moses did not need someone to take over leadership of the Israelites, he needed someone to help him. My greatest need is for someone who has the talent, the personality, the skills of a master recruiter to come alongside me and hold my arms up in this area.

Maybe you are an underachiever in the area of crafts, the kind who ends up gluing his shirt sleeve to the popsicle stick. It doesn't mean you're a failure in children's ministry, it just means you need an Aaron or Hur to coordinate your craft time. Kid's music DVD's have held the arms up for many children's workers whose musical talents are lacking. And if you're the kind of kids' worker who blows things up when you mix two ingredients together, you need a Hur and a Moses to whip up tasty treats for your refreshments.

My goal for this new school year is to recruit at least one master recruiter to hold up my arms in children's ministries. What about you? Where do you need an Aaron or Hur this year? You are not a failure if you can't do it all (and it demonstrates a very limited perspective if anyone suggests you can't be a children's worker if you can't do it all!). Ask the Lord to help you find people who can pull up a rock, grab your arms, and help bring in the victory.

1 comment: