Thursday, March 11, 2010

PRELUDE TO CPC: HALF A DOZEN THINGS I LIKE ABOUT CPC

With the annual 2010 Children's Pastors Conference closing in fast, I thought I would pause for a moment and rattle off some reasons why I take the time and money to attend Children's Pastors' Conference. Others have written this (in fact, I've written about it). But it never gets old. These are not written in any particular order, nor were they thought out in depth. It is truly the closest to talking out of the top of my head. So sit right back and enjoy this prelude to CPC.

1. Two thousand of my closest friends. We laugh at that, but I feel a connection with all the people there. I may not know who they are, but I consider them brothers and sisters in the service of the King. I usually have to resist a lump in my throat during the closing session, because I and my friends are parting ways.

2. Opening night. For me, the first few songs of worship and praise are incredibly liberating for me. It's almost as if I can feel the stress, the pressure, and the sheer lonliness of the past year siphon out of my whole body. Joining in glad song with two thousand of my closest frineds is very freeing.

3. Education. Whether it is in the general sessions or the individual workshops, I always feel I'm getting the proverbial cream of the crop in children's ministries.

4. The church tour. I like signing up for the church tour. It's interesting, inspirational, and challenging. Whenever I complete a church tour, one of the things I ask myself is, "If a tour stopped at our church, what would they report about?"

5. Resources. Sure, I get catalogs and novelty items, but if you are standing in the right place at the right time, you might walk away with a free book or dvd or action figure. And even if you don't, you can still get a jump on your budget list.

6. The Nap. Yes, you read that right. One of the CPC leaders once counseled that if you need a nap, go take a nap. One year I took his advice. Mid-afternoon, I was tired and felt a headache coming on. So I went to my room, crashed on my bed, and took a two hour nap. I was refreshed when I got up. Besides, when was the last time I took a deliberate snooze?

So there you have it... a quick half dozen reasons why I like to go to the Children's Pastors Conference. As the car commercial goes, "your mileage may vary." So come see it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment