Sunday, June 01, 2008

PROMOTION DAY

Promotion Sunday 2008 is in the books.
Every June, we promote certain children in our Sunday Morning Celebration to their new classes. It's a fairly simple ceremony: in one corner is one class, across from them is another class. The teacher of the first class introduces his/her kids, then sends the kids who are to be promoted across to the new class, where they are welcomed by the kids in that class. Then another class takes their place and the process repeats. Our middle school and high school groups also join in, with our 5th graders sliding up to the middle school, and the middle school grads moving up to the high school, and the graduating seniors being informally recognized.

Like I said, it's simple. Incredibly simple and short and sweet. So why do I always get a lump in my throat as I see child after child walk across the lawn to be greeted by their new peers? Is it because each promotion represents a validation of that all-important ministry in which we are engaged? Or maybe it's because I'm a sucker for ceremonies. I don't know. Maybe it's because of how the high school group welcomed the newcomers from the middle school group by surrounding them in a tight circle and praying over them. As I watched this, I knew that I wanted each of the young children that we minister to today to turn out like that when they get to be teens and beyond.
So, Promotion Day 2008 is now over....

.....now let the adventure continue.
Attendance was low for various reasons...but the kids and KidServants were ready for action.
The teenagers got into the action, forming a conga line to the song "Wild Ride."
One of our promoted kids demonstrates her dance moves!

No comments:

Post a Comment