Sunday, March 29, 2009

WHAT CHILDREN'S MINISTRIES DOES RIGHT

So there I was, watching the Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Awards, along with my almost 18 year old daughter. Okay, I think she was actually reading a book on the other end of the couch, but I’m sure she at least glanced up periodically to find out what all the screaming was about.
Like all things related to kids and kid culture, I found myself asking, “what can I learn here that will help in the all time goal of ministering to children?” Well, there were no surprises on most of the winners. When I-Carly was announced as best television show, I dutifully asked, “what can we learn from this in our ministry?” My daughter, not looking up from her book, replied, “Start a webcast for kids.”

Not bad.

There were a lot of lessons, applications, and even a production value or two I gleaned from this slime filled excess. But the moment that stuck with me wasn’t about flash and bang and wild cheering. The moment that defined it for me was when Miley Cyrus cried.

I realize the parental jury is still out on Miley Cyrus. But when this pop culture icon, this cornerstone of children’s programming, was named best female singer, her jaw dropped and the tears fell. It was a sharp contrast to the upbeat acceptance from everyone else. What caused this display? Her voice choking, her gaze down, she said, “I thought I was going to lose.”

Amazing.

In spite of her phenomenal success, this actress/performer thought that the kids of America would not vote for her as their favorite singer. She seemed genuinely touched that she won. And I had to wonder what would cause a kid like that to feel insecure about her popularity?

For that matter, what would cause any kid to feel insecure? Or fearful? Or full of doubt?

Suddenly, the Kids’ Choice Awards intersected with the real life world of Children’s Ministries. Children with far fewer privileges and connections have a hard time believing that people like them, love them, and value them.

And that’s where those of us in Children’s Ministries can do something that Nickolodeon with its tri-level stage, flashing monitors, zip-lines, and slime cannons cannot do: build relationships with these children and let them know they are loved and cared for by others and ultimately by the Creator of the universe.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're onto something here. The old cliche that celebrities put their pants on one leg at the time just like everyone else holds true for all of us. Behind all the glam and money and fame and parental juries and surreal photo shoots, this girls is just a kid like the ones that darken the doors of our schools and churches.

    ReplyDelete