Monday, June 06, 2005

Rainy days and Mondays

Alright...let's start with some background. I am a man of many hats. In addition to my responsibilities on the church staff (which I will describe some other time) as well as serving as Children's Ministries Director, I am also employed at the church's DayCare center. My primary age group is 3's and 4's (during the school year, I teach a 4 year old class).
Today, as in most days, began at 6:15 a.m. I got up, showered, dressed, and arrived at 7:00 to begin my morning. I have no work responsibilities on Monday afternoons, so I look forward to 11:00 a.m. when my shift at the DayCare is over. I was prepared to do great things in my yard, which currently resembles a tropical jungle. And then it happened: a rain drop. Then two. Then two hundred. Before my first trip outside to deliver the school kids to school, there were already sizeable puddles. It became very obvious that my plans for yard work would not come to pass.
Fortunately (or unfortanately, depending on one's point-of-view), two of the workers at the center called in sick, leaving the facility short handed. So, being the trooper I am, I volunteered to stay until more relief could arrive. My 11:00 a.m. quitting time was extended to about 12:30. While I clocked out at that time, I did not leave the facility because of the chance that I might be needed again before relief arrived. Relief came at about 1:45.
Sooooooooo....it's raining. And cold (the temp did not crack 60 today...quite a feat for June!). But while rainy days and Mondays always get some people down, I have to remember that 1)today is payday, which offsets any weather problems and 2) I get to work with kids! It's a high and holy calling and I am thrilled to be a part of it.
But I still want my Monday afternoons!

No comments:

Post a Comment