Sunday, May 30, 2021

THOUGHTS FOR MEMORIAL DAY 2021


I've never served in the military.

I have family members who served. My step-father was a Marine, another relative was in the Navy. I'm pretty sure the Army and Air Force is represented in there.

And I have friends and acquaintances who served. Buddies from high school and college. Folks from my church. It's probably a safe assumption that I know more veterans now than I ever did growing up.

Someone has posted the distinctions among Armed Forces Day, Veterans' Day, and Memorial Day.

Armed Forces Day is for men and women who wear the uniform
Veteran's Day is for the men and women who have hung up the uniform
Memorial Day is for the men and women who never made it out of uniform

While some of my friends and relatives have died over the years, I don't recall anyone I know who has died while still in uniform. Yet to those men and women--and to their families--I am profoundly grateful.

For all the days honoring those in service, I say the same thing: because you have done what you did, you have helped me to have the freedom to do what I do.

I have never served in the military. 

But to the families of those who gave their lives in the service, I salute you and say "thank you."


No comments:

Post a Comment